Director, Instructional Design
eCornell Directors of Instructional Design lead teams of Instructional Designers (IDs) and Instructional Design Associates (IDAs) focused on creating best-in-class online learning solutions. They work in collaboration with senior eCornell leadership to set strategic direction for course design and development while providing necessary guidance to their teams to help meet organizational and production goals. They also work with Cornell University faculty and other stakeholders as needed to contribute to design discussions and ensure the success of all eCornell course-development efforts.
This opportunity in based in Ithaca, NY.
- Manage direct reports (IDs and IDAs), including setting goals, providing feedback on coursework in progress, coaching, and facilitating growth opportunities
- Review ID coursework and observe ID interactions in faculty collaborations (including course charter meetings and content outline events) as needed, providing relevant and actionable feedback
- Contribute to the evolution of eCornell’s products and online course-design methodologies to meet the changing needs of students while taking advantage of emerging and relevant technologies
- Continuously refine and evolve eCornell’s design and online course-development processes to maximize production speed and efficiency while maintaining product quality
- Contribute to production goals by ensuring all projects assigned to IDs are on time and on budget
- Clearly and efficiently communicate course status for all direct reports to internal and external stakeholders
- Leverage production data to make strategic resource allocation decisions for IDs and IDAs that best enable the design organization to meet production goals
- Assist in the recruiting and retention of ID and IDA talent
- Design and develop courses as strategically assigned
- Ensure positive and productive faculty-stakeholder management for all projects
- Lead and coordinate all onboarding required for new ID and IDA employees and contractors
- Effectively and efficiently communicate and collaborate with eCornell internal and contract staff leveraged to execute various course-development tasks, including deployment, marketing, and sales
- Effectively represent eCornell in interactions with Cornell faculty and staff
- Collaborate with eCornell Project Management to scope projects, estimate effort, set schedules, and coordinate deliverables
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in the instructional design field or equivalent academic experience
- Minimum three years direct experience managing teams of IDs, with a proven track record of enabling those teams to reach production and quality goals
- A constructive and positive attitude, sense of urgency, and willingness to do whatever is needed to achieve project goals and requirements
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing, and negotiating skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong collaborative qualities as well as the ability to explain technical concepts in non-technical terms to faculty and students
- Excellent editorial skills, including the ability to edit and author (as needed) course content in a conversational tone
- Proven ability to manage and meet deadlines with multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision
- Ability to deal well with ambiguity and fast-paced change
- Creative, practical problem-identification, problem-reporting, and problem-solving skills, including the application of those skills to the design and development of the final product
- Excellent time- and project-management skills
- Practical experience applying instructional design principles and practices—including needs and task analysis, design, development, implementation, and measurement—to the build of discrete learning solutions/interventions
- Significant experience (minimum five years) with training development and learning program development in team environments
- Active interest in adult learning theory and emerging approaches to online learning, including but not limited to, social networking, mobile learning, problem-based learning, and story-based learning
- Experience in instructional systems design, preferably in the context of corporate training, executive education, and/or professional development
- Some knowledge of CSS and HTML
As Cornell University’s online learning unit, eCornell delivers online professional certificate courses to individuals and organizations around the world. Courses are personally developed by Cornell faculty with expertise in a wide range of topics, including data analytics, management, marketing, human resources, and leadership. Students learn in an interactive, small cohort format to gain skills they can immediately apply in their organizations, while earning a professional certificate from Cornell University. eCornell has offered online learning courses and certificate programs for 15 years to over 130,000 students at more than 2,000 companies.
How to Apply
Send an email with your name and the desired job in the email subject to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter.
No visa sponsorship is provided for this position. eCornell is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.