Director of Instruction
eCornell is looking to hire a Director of Instruction to join our growing team. As Director of Instruction, you will focus on sustaining high-quality, rigorous online learning for adult students by engaging with academic units and external resources to source and manage a group of independent contractors who are highly-qualified industry experts providing course instruction, facilitation, and executive education services.
- Locate and retain independent contractors who are highly-qualified, domain experts to provide in-course facilitation and instruction in eCornell’s Cornell University Certificate programs
- Hire and manage, as appropriate, Senior Instructors to oversee daily instructor activities using personal influence and best practices to maintain high-quality instruction and course rigor
- Develop and maintain direct relationships with University faculty and leadership to ensure alignment between academic and open-enrollment certificate programs
- Coordinate with Course Operations and Product Management teams to maintain instructor capacity to meet forecast demand
- Work with academic units to align online programs with academic needs in for-credit course offerings
- Work with academic units to enable University faculty to succeed in online for-credit course instruction
- Manage resources to maximize learning outcomes, student satisfaction and completion rates while supporting the University’s mission and reach
- Establish and maintain standards for quality instruction in online courses
- Establish metrics for tracking instructional performance of individual instructors and programs
- Provide regular performance reports, identifying and remediating issues
- Develop instructor enablement methodologies to develop and sustain instructional excellence across all courses
- 10+ years management experience, preferably within a higher-ed environment
- 5+ years in a fast-paced online learning environment
- Strong management skills and experience developing team members
- A constructive and positive attitude, sense of urgency, and willingness to do whatever is needed to achieve organizational goals and requirements
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing, and negotiating skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong collaborative qualities as well as the ability to explain technical concepts in non-technical terms to faculty and students
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision
- Ability to deal well with ambiguity and fast-paced change
- Practical experience applying instructional design principles and practices—including needs and task analysis, design, development, implementation, and measurement—to the build of discrete learning solutions/interventions
- Significant experience (minimum five years) with training development and learning program development in team environments
- Active interest in adult learning theory and emerging approaches to online learning, including but not limited to, social networking, mobile learning, problem-based learning, and story-based learning
- Experience in instructional systems design, preferably in the context of corporate training, executive education, and/or professional development
- Graduate degree in post-secondary instruction, education management, or similar
- PhD in Education or an EdD
- Located in or relocation to Ithaca, NY
As Cornell University’s online learning unit, eCornell delivers online professional certificate courses to individuals and organizations around the world. Courses are personally developed by Cornell faculty with expertise in a wide range of topics, including data analytics, management, marketing, human resources, and leadership. Students learn in an interactive, small cohort format to gain skills they can immediately apply in their organizations, while earning a professional certificate from Cornell University. eCornell has offered online learning courses and certificate programs for 15 years to over 130,000 students at more than 2,000 companies.
How to Apply
Send an email with your name and the desired job in the email subject to email@example.com with your resume and cover letter.
No visa sponsorship is provided for this position. eCornell is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.