Director of Software Development
eCornell supports Cornell University’s mission to reach students anywhere anytime.
eCornell is looking to hire a Director of Software Development to join our growing team. As Director of Software Development you report to the VP, Program Delivery and are directly responsible for the strategic and operational functioning of our software development, IT/DevOps, QA, and BI teams. You are central to developing, staging, and maintaining solutions to meet our internal and external client needs. Working cross-functionally, you also help direct decisions about architecture and technology roadmaps that will sustain our growing operation.
Using your excellent leadership skills, you ensure that we have the right people in the right roles. You lead, coach, and mentor this world-class team of information technology professionals to success by developing and delivering amazing instructional technology products. You provide the team with the right tools and processes to work effectively and efficiently along with the appropriate key performance indicators (KPIs) to accurately monitor performance. In addition you also assist with dev architecture.
Collaboratively, you work closely with Product Management, Marketing, Course Operations, Corporate Sales and Enrollment to make sure that the right products are being built. You define and implement the engineering methodology for their design, development, validation, verification, and release, always looking for ways to improve their functionality, usability, and simplicity. Proactively, you evaluate new technologies and keep abreast of trends that may impact our company.
- Manage a growing software development team, maintaining the high-quality of deliverables and development velocity
- Manage the software development processes both internally with the IT team and externally with internal and external stakeholders
- Hire and manage, as appropriate, additional technical staff to support the organization’s needs
- Manage the build-out of a BI-services team and toolset to provide stakeholders visibility into eCornell’s ever-expanding, complex data
- Work with stakeholders to prioritize competing needs, applying the team’s capacity to the most important projects that ensure regulatory compliance, organizational growth and sustainability
- With the Senior Developer, ensure that eCornell’s technical architecture is suited to meeting the needs of our students, faculty, and other stakeholders
- Establish and maintain standards and goals for software performance and scalability
- Institute compelling performance measurements that continually drive transparency, improved performance, and deadline achievement
- Ensure professional development opportunities for the team
- 10+ years development and/or IT management experience, preferably within a higher-ed or ed-tech environment
- 5+ years in a fast-paced online learning environment
- Strong management skills and experience developing team members
- Proven ability to build mixed teams of local and remote internet technology professionals, providing them with the vision and working environment necessary to develop world-class information technology applications.
- A constructive and positive attitude, sense of urgency, and willingness to do whatever is needed to achieve organizational goals and requirements
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing, and negotiating skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong collaborative qualities as well as the ability to explain technical concepts in non-technical terms to faculty and students
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision
- Ability to deal well with ambiguity and fast-paced change
- MS in Computer Science
- Located in or willing to relocate to Ithaca, NY
As Cornell University’s online learning unit, eCornell delivers online professional certificate courses to individuals and organizations around the world. Courses are personally developed by Cornell faculty with expertise in a wide range of topics, including data analytics, management, marketing, human resources, and leadership. Students learn in an interactive, small cohort format to gain skills they can immediately apply in their organizations, while earning a professional certificate from Cornell University. eCornell has offered online learning courses and certificate programs for 15 years to over 130,000 students at more than 2,000 companies.
How to Apply
Send an email with your name and the desired job in the email subject to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter.
No visa sponsorship is provided for this position. eCornell is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.