Instructional Design Associate
Instructional Design Associates work with the eCornell design and development team to create best-in-class online learning solutions drawing upon multimedia, progressive instructional principles, and strong collaboration abilities. They work in collaboration with Instructional Designers, Senior Instructional Designers, Cornell University faculty, Product Management, Creative Services, and Project Management teams to effectively design and develop components of online learning products that meet student needs and the project timeline and budget. eCornell Instructional Designers Associates are expected to assist in designing and developing a range of online learning products (including certificate programs, for-credit programs, blended programs, etc.) according to eCornell instructional, content, and branding guidelines.
eCornell Instructional Design Associates manage the following responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Collaborate with eCornell staff (and Cornell University Faculty) to produce best-in-class, outcomes-driven online learning on deadline and on budget.
- Architect outcomes-driven learning solutions and all their required components, including those ultimately built by other resources including multimedia elements (animations, etc.), interactives, and assessments, all designed to enable eCornell students to achieve skills transfer.
- Contribute to the evolution of eCornell’s online learning products and development model to meet the changing needs of students while taking advantage of emerging and relevant technologies.
- Work with complex source material along with detailed development cycles, keeping both the process and the content highly accessible, streamlined, and focused for collaborators and stakeholders.
- Apply and leverage multimedia techniques and resources (animations, interactives, video, web 2.0/3.0 features) where appropriate in developing learning solutions. This includes collaborations with graphic artists and programmers to conceptualize and execute animations, interactives, and/or other multimedia elements.
- Effectively and efficiently communicate and collaborate with eCornell internal and contract staff leveraged to execute various course-development tasks.
- Effectively represent eCornell in interactions with Cornell faculty and staff, leading faculty confidently and steadily through an iterative design process.
- Conceptualize and create an engaging user experience whose components may include graphical user interface, page layout design, interactivity, and flow.
- Provide technical assistance by responding to inquiries regarding errors, problems, or questions with online learning products as needed.
- Actively engage with learning products created by competitors for benchmarking purposes.
- A constructive and positive attitude, sense of urgency, and willingness to do whatever is needed to achieve project goals and requirements
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing, and negotiating skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong collaborative qualities as well as the ability to explain technical concepts in non-technical terms to SMEs and students
- Excellent editorial skills, including the ability to author course content in a conversational tone and general storytelling capabilities
- Proven ability to manage and meet deadlines with multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision
- Ability to deal well with ambiguity and fast-paced change
- Creative, practical problem-identification, problem-reporting, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time- and project-management skills
- Active interest in adult learning theory and emerging approaches to online learning, including, but not limited to, social networking, mobile learning, problem-based learning, story-based learning, etc.
- While this position may be suitable for a remotely-based team member, it is preferable that the candidate be Ithaca-based
No visa sponsorship is provided for this position. eCornell is an affirmation action/equal opportunity employer.