Vertical Lead, Data Science
The Data Science Vertical Lead works closely with Cornell University faculty and supports eCornell’s Instructional Design team to develop high-quality courses in the Data Science vertical (such as Data Visualization with MatPlotLib, Data Analytics in R, Machine Learning in Python, Python for Data Science, Tableau, and others) which include meaningful, hands-on exercises. Vertical Leads also help onboard and support contract Content Developers who develop supplemental content, as well as support the instruction of running cohorts and long-term maintenance of the programs.
- Review and provide feedback for the development of data science courses to enhance their educational effectiveness.
- Improve and maintain programming exercises across a number of data science certificate programs.
- Support the onboarding and management of contract SMEs for authoring student exercises, projects, and activities when staff and faculty are unable.
- Develop technical learning activities in online course development tools such as Cloud IDEs, LMS systems, and other authoring tools.
- Provide training, support, and vetting for new and existing instructors on technical programs as needed.
- Write instructional content and code for technical learning activities where feasible.
- Provide instructional support, guidance, evaluation, and troubleshooting to groups of students in technical and programming courses.
- Strong technical understanding of Python or R, and/or SQL.
- Strong academic or autodidactic foundation of understanding in one or more of the following: Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics in R, Data Visualization with Tableau, Computer Vision.
- Excited by learning new technologies, systems thinking, problem solving, and overcoming obstacles.
- Familiar with contemporary data engineering concepts and systems.
- Strong entrepreneurial attitude towards product design, decision-making, self-motivation, and managing uncertainty.
- Must be an excellent listener and able to mediate, make compromises, and not take decisions personally.
- Must be able to prioritize; have good time management skills; must be a self-starter and able to work both independently and as a team.
- Must have excellent documentation, writing, organization and verbal communication skills.
- Must be humble and open to learning each and every day in a fast-paced agile environment.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision.
- Experience working in Jupyter Notebooks, Tableau, and git version control.
- Strong familiarity with and passion for online learning programs and teaching technologies.
- 3+ Years experience working in the STEM education space preferred.
- Located in Upstate NY or able to relocate for the position.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Data Science, Statistics, AI, or equivalent.
- Experience working in Codio or other educational IDE.
As Cornell University’s online learning unit, eCornell delivers online professional certificate courses to individuals and organizations around the world. Courses are personally developed by Cornell faculty with expertise in a wide range of topics, including data analytics, management, marketing, human resources, and leadership. Students learn in an interactive, small-class format to gain skills they can immediately apply in their organizations, while earning a professional certificate from Cornell University. eCornell has offered online learning courses and certificate programs for 15 years to over 130,000 students at more than 2,000 companies and is rapidly expanding its portfolio of offerings.
eCornell offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability Insurance
- Flex Spending Account
- Vacation/Personal/Sick Leave
How to Apply
No visa sponsorship is provided for this position. eCornell is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Please send cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com.