Alex Susskind is a Professor of Food and Beverage Management and is currently serving as the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Professor Susskind earned his Ph.D. in Communication from Michigan State University with a specialization in organizational communication and his MBA with a concentration in personnel and human relations. Alex earned his undergraduate degree at Purdue University in Restaurant, Hotel, and Institutional Management and is also a trained chef with a degree in Culinary Arts from The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York. Prior to starting his career in academia, Alex was a chef and restaurant operator for both independent and multi-unit restaurant companies in the Northeastern and Southeastern United States.
In this course, you will explore the challenges and opportunities that come with opening a food and beverage establishment. You will review a case study describing an existing food and beverage operation and explore the steps involved in creating a business plan and then work towards creating a business plan for your own food and beverage operation. You will also examine strategies for determining if your business idea will be successful in the market.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- Evaluate how well a fictional restaurant is matching the concept that launched the business
- Offer suggestions for equipment that best meets the concept of an existing restaurant
- Identify key drivers of potential business in the market that you will operate in
- Evaluate the financial viability of a restaurant and offer recommendations for next steps
How It Works
3-5 hours per week
100% online, instructor-led
Who Should Enroll
- General managers and line-level employees involved in the operation and financial performance of a restaurant or food and beverage service
- Managed service contractors for stadiums, arenas, hospitals, airlines, franchises, and catering
- Professionals new to the food and beverage industry
- Non-restaurant professionals looking to be conversant in operations of food and beverage providers
- Caterers, restaurateurs, event space managers, property managers, corporate event managers