Beth is the Director of Cornell Wellness. She received her bachelor’s degree from Cornell University and her master’s degree in health education from SUNY Cortland. In addition, Beth is a certified health education specialist. With previous experience in both clinical and community nutrition, Beth specializes in nutrition education and behavior change. Through Cornell Wellness, she offers cooking classes, weight management programs, and one-on-one nutrition counseling. Beth also enjoys giving presentations on stress management, smoking cessation, and humor. She tries to fulfill Cornell Wellness’ mission by bringing joy, balance, and well-being to the Cornell community. Her own joy, balance and well-being comes from her husband Tim and their two children, Hannah and Jacob. Beth enjoys biking outside, hiking, knitting, and, of course, cooking.
For many nutrition professionals, motivating clients to change their behavior is a daunting task. But, by revising how you approach goal setting—by focusing on your clients’ wants and needs—new behaviors become easier to elicit. In this course, you’ll learn how to recognize what’s valuable to clients for goal setting and work with them to determine realistic, actionable goals that align with their specific desire for change. Using empathy, and a variety of tools and techniques, Beth McKinney helps you bring out the best in yourself and your client as you navigate the goal-setting process.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- Use verbal and nonverbal cues to recognize what is most valuable to the client for setting a goal
- Transition effectively to goal setting
- Work with clients to determine realistic, actionable goals based on their specific wants and needs
- Increase the use of empathy within your practice
How It Works
3-5 hours per week
100% online, instructor-led
Cornell College of Human Ecology
Who Should Enroll
- Students from the United States must be Registered Dietitians (RD or RDN)
- International students need to have a credential approved by the International Confederation of Dietetic Association — full list available here
Stack to a Certificate
Request Information Now
Act today—courses are filling fast.