Beth is the Director of Cornell Wellness. She received her bachelor’s degree from Cornell University and her master’s degree in health education from SUNY Cortland. In addition, Beth is a certified health education specialist. With previous experience in both clinical and community nutrition, Beth specializes in nutrition education and behavior change. Through Cornell Wellness, she offers cooking classes, weight management programs, and one-on-one nutrition counseling. Beth also enjoys giving presentations on stress management, smoking cessation, and humor. She tries to fulfill Cornell Wellness’ mission by bringing joy, balance, and well-being to the Cornell community. Her own joy, balance and well-being comes from her husband Tim and their two children, Hannah and Jacob. Beth enjoys biking outside, hiking, knitting, and, of course, cooking.
Nutrition professionals are experts in nutritional sciences, sought after for this specialized knowledge. Yet their crucial role as counselors and change agents is seldom given as much attention in nutrition degree programs, despite the increasing need in the field for skilled counselors. In this course, experienced wellness educator and counselor Beth McKinney, MSEd, RD, CHES, will explain how and why client-directed counseling can effectively influence healthy behavioral change and prepare you to use research-based techniques to create rapport, build trust, and elicit useful information from clients.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- Apply research-based principles and techniques used in nutrition counseling
- Identify the benefits of client-directed counseling
- Interpret your and your clients’ non-verbal cues
- Identify techniques for self-management during a counseling session
How It Works
3-5 hours per week
100% online, instructor-led
Cornell College of Human Ecology
Who Should Enroll
- Students from the United States must be Registered Dietitians (RD or RDN)
- International students need to have a credential approved by the International Confederation of Dietetic Association — full list available here
Stack to a Certificate
Request Information Now
Act today—courses are filling fast.